Have you been considering getting your teeth straightened? It used to be that the only choice to straighten your teeth was braces. Now, however, there are other options for straightening your teeth, including Invisalign.
In this article, we’ll tell you the 4 main differences between braces and Invisalign:
- The materials used for braces vs. for Invisalign.
- How they work to straighten your teeth.
- Challenges and benefits of both of them.
- The differences in how much they cost.
At Guelph Family Dentistry, we’re here for all your Guelph-based Invisalign needs. We can help you get a beautiful smile while enjoying the comfort and discretion of Invisalign.
1. How do braces and Invisalign differ when it comes to the materials they are made of?
You can probably picture someone with braces fairly easily. After all, they aren’t exactly subtle! When someone has braces put on, they have metal brackets and wires applied to their teeth to fix how their teeth are positioned. People with braces often have to wear small elastic bands with their braces that help align their teeth.
With Invisalign, your trays are made out of flexible and clear plastic. So, if discretion is important to you, then Invisalign is a great choice, as plastic trays are a lot less noticeable than metal brackets.
2. How do braces and Invisalign differ in how they function?
When you have braces put in, they are permanent until you have them professionally removed. Your orthodontist or dentist may need to tighten your braces periodically, but you won’t have them removed until your treatment is finished.
With Invisalign, you can take your aligning trays out. Generally, they should only be removed as necessary for purposes like eating and brushing your teeth. Also, you will need to start using a new aligner every few weeks to adjust to the changing alignment of your teeth.
3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both types of treatment?
Both braces and Invisalign give you excellent treatment for correcting issues like crooked teeth, underbites, and overbites.
Braces may be more effective than Invisalign for significant orthodontic issues, but they can make brushing and flossing challenging, and you may not be able to eat certain foods with them on.
Invisalign offers you the advantage of being more subtle than braces; they are also removable. Since Invisalign tends to apply less pressure to your teeth than braces, it can be more comfortable as well.
However, you have to be disciplined about wearing your trays, and you can have issues with staining or cavities if you drink sugary drinks while wearing them. Plus, you have to be diligent about getting and using replacement trays—and keeping them clean!
4. How do braces and Invisalign differ in cost?
Another thing to think about when considering braces vs. Invisalign is the cost. Traditional braces tend to be less expensive, and it may be easier for your dentist or orthodontist to estimate the overall cost of treatment upfront.
For Invisalign, the cost will vary depending on the number of trays that are needed. The more trays required to fix your teeth, the higher the cost of treatment will be.
Either way, if you have benefits, you should check with your provider before starting treatment to see how much will be covered.
How can Guelph Family Dentistry help me with Invisalign?
If you’ve been thinking of getting your teeth straightened, then Guelph Family Dentistry is an excellent place to get Invisalign in Guelph!
When you come to us for Invisalign, we can help you get the straight teeth and beautiful smile you want. It may be hard to believe, but this simple and practically invisible technique can help with all sorts of issues. Whether you have overcrowded teeth, gaps between your teeth, or an overbite or underbite, we can help.
When you get Invisalign from Guelph Family Dentistry, we’ll give you customized teeth aligners that will slowly move your teeth into proper alignment. Unlike braces, which are not removable and quite prominent on your teeth, Invisalign aligners are both clear and removable.
These are 6 of the key benefits to getting Invisalign:
- Our dentists will use 3D technology to create your aligners, and ensure each adjustment gets you closer to your dream smile.
- Invisalign aligners are subtle and discreet, so you can smile confidently while working towards your perfect smile.
- Invisalign offers flexibility. You can take them out as needed, such as when eating or drinking, playing sports, or even for activities such as playing a wind instrument!
- With Invisalign, you’ll get several aligners at once, so you don’t have to return to Guelph Family Dentistry constantly. You don’t have the routine check-ups and tightening that braces require. You just check in with us every few months, and we will give you your next set of aligners.
- Invisalign tends to be more comfortable than braces, as the changes with each aligner are more subtle than those required with metal braces.
- Straightening your teeth with Invisalign is much less invasive than having them straightened with metal braces. With braces, any time an adjustment or change is needed, your orthodontist or dentist will have to push and pull on your mouth and jaw. After your initial assessment, Invisalign tends to be much more “hands-off” than braces.
The Many Benefits of Straightening Your Teeth With Invisalign
Now you know about the 4 main differences between braces and Invisalign:
- Braces are made out of metal, whereas Invisalign uses flexible plastic.
- Braces require monthly adjustments, whereas Invisalign has replacement aligners.
- The challenges and benefits of both.
- The differences in cost.
When Invisalign treatment from Guelph Family Dentistry, you’ll get customized teeth aligners that will gradually move your teeth into proper alignment. Invisalign offers you the best of both worlds; they are practical and comfortable, but also clear and removable.
Contact Us About Invisalign in Guelph
Start your journey towards a beautiful smile today! Call us at 1-888-250-8819 or contact us online to learn more about how we can help you.